By Damon Martin / Fox Sports
The proposed lightweight battle between top 10 ranked fighters Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone and Myles Jury appears to be close to reality with a date for the bout left as the only sticking point for the contest.
Cerrone and Jury were first linked over a week ago when the rumor about their fight started swirling, but now it seems UFC president Dana White is on board as well.
While the UFC’s head honcho didn’t get into any detail whatsoever about the fight actually being signed, he did respond on Twitter giving his thumbs up that the bout is happening.
When reached for comment, Jury’s manager Ryan Hass told FOX Sports that they’ve already accepted the bout, but now it’s just a matter of finding a date and location.
“We confirmed upon approach by the UFC, the date is all that has been needing worked out. We’re aiming for the UFC 182 NYE event on January 3rd, or UFC 183 on January 31st, both in Las Vegas,” Hass said.
Cerrone was hoping to fight against in 2014, but with a fight calendar already largely booked through the end of the year the likelihood of the former WEC contender landing a worthy fight before December 31 is doubtful.
Both top ranked lightweights are currently on very impressive win streaks. Jury improved his immaculate record to 15-0 by being the first man to knock out Takanori Gomi, while Cerrone recently defeated Eddie Alvarez for his 5th straight win in the past 12 months.
If the deal gets finalized, it should provide for a fun scrap between two talented strikers. As with most of bouts involving either fighter though, I guess that already goes without saying.
As previously stated, no bout agreements have been issued for the fight but all signs are pointing towards a Cerrone vs. Jury fight in early 2015.
Want to learn more about Myles Jury?
His MMA system, Jury Jiu Jitsu: JuryJJ.com
His website: TheTeamFury.com
Follow Myles on social media: